Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Resisting the Old you

Every born again believer faces this roadblock at some point or the other.  Whether it be something as simple and minuscule as a comment or phrase you used to say all the time or maybe even music you used to love and vibe off of.  No harm there right?  I mean you are stronger now right?  None of that should have no effect on you because your walk with the Lord is stronger....right?

Well here's my take on that subject.  Salvation is free, but it is also a process and it is a process that requires procedures on your part.  Salvation is freely given to us upon acceptance and belief of the redemptive work on the cross done by Jesus Christ.  Living Holy though....that's a whole different matter altogether.  I am just like you, men of God, I struggle over just the simplest of things and sometimes it can seem like a daunting task....at first.

As a newly single man of God I struggle with my new-found singleness and freedom.  I struggle when looking at other women and trying to not think or look at them in a subjective manner.  It was not so easy at first when you are just starting out.  You are fighting habits and sinful nature that has taken root in you and now that Christ is your center; those weeds need to be uprooted.  That takes time and determination to achieve.  It takes prayer and submission unto the Holy Spirit to allow him to work within you.  I have gotten in the habit of forcing myself to turn away when I know I am going to want to really stare at a woman.  Not the appreciative look, but the look that you know in your Spirit is not of God.

Many men don't want to admit this struggle or believe that they can overcome it, but I am here to tell you it can be done.  Your desire to please Christ has to be stronger than your desire for your flesh.  Only here can the Spirit really work within you.  It's no wonder why the bible says "Love the Lord with all thine hear, soul and mind" (Luke 10:27).  You will have an extremely hard time trying to resist temptation if you have not made up your mind who is going to reign inside of you and govern you.

Even simple things on my job like handing back money.  I may be rushing and think "handing back this penny is no big deal they won't miss it" all for the sake of saving time and rushing; but right then the Spirit reminds me of my integrity and commitment to Him.  Immediately I fix that attitude and do what is right.  Simple little things like this build your character in Christ.  Because even though no man may see you, God see you and He also sees your heart.  Do you truly desire to be like Christ or are you just full of words and fluff?

Even the Bible it'self states that it will not be easy (Matt 7:13-14).  Doesn't mean you cannot achieve holiness and live and walk by the Spirit, but it does mean you will put in work (2 Peter 1:5-9).  My prayer is that as Men of God and disciples of Christ, we choose to walk by the Spirit.  Meaning we allow the Spirit to guide and control our thought process.  We listen to him versus ourselves.  You don't make excuses saying "I am not perfect".  What you do tell the Lord is "I am not there yet but I am trying to get there".


No comments: