Monday, November 5, 2012

Battle Scars....

I know you would be thinking at first glance, why in the world does this dude have battle scars as his title for his blog posts.  Well if you have been frequenting my blog I am talking about some things that I am thankful for this November 2012.  The things I thank God for are not the ones like, thank you Lord for a new job, car, woman, home or anything as such.  I am thankful for things like that when it happen, but I am more in awe of the things that are overlooked that God uses to strengthen and build me up.  Things that push me to be a better Christian and servant of the Lord.

So we come to today's topic of thankfulness....Battle Scars.  Military soldiers, mercenaries, knights, and warriors are normally the likes of individuals where you would hear boasting about the battles won and lost and the scars they have accumulated.  Usually those scars are badges of honor that require people to take notice and show respect to their bravery or courage.

The problem with this way of remembrance is that all these individuals do is show how great they are, how awesome they are, how brave they are, and how strong they are.  None of it is ever sent back up to our Father in heaven.  None of it is ever pointed to Christ and give thanks for even bringing you out of that battle in the first place.

This November I am very thankful for my battle scars.  Scripture says in Ephesians 6:12 We do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.  We are soldiers and just as the song suggest "we are soldiers, in the army of the Lord".  We wrestle, some of those scars may be physical but most of them are emotional scars.  Scars that may have bruised our egos or heart.  Scars that may have punctured our spirit.  Oh yes...trust me....we do wrestle.

As soldiers in the army of the Lord we are to work and strive to please the one that has called us to battle - 2 Tim 2:4 (mouse over for scripture).  We can't please the Lord if we are focused on our own efforts in battle.  All that we do should point right back up to Christ.  If not, then we missed the point of serving the Lord or why he even called us to fight for him.

I love my battle scars.  I have many of them and they are a constant daily reminder of God's love, grace, mercy, provision and direction in my life this year.  Yes they remind me of the pain and they remind me of the wounds they once were.  But they also remind me that I am able to even remember that they were once wounds to begin with.  I am still standing right now because of God's mercy on my life.  I am stronger and more confident in my Commander that is Christ Jesus than I ever was before.

When I reflect on the scars and it brings tears to my eyes.  The tears are never tears of sorrow or despair.  They are always tears of joy, because it is HE who has brought me out, it is He who has made a way for me when I saw no way at all.  Those relationships you were in that failed hurt and yes they left various scars on your heart and maybe even on your spirit, but remember at one point they were once wounds that the enemy kept pouring salt on.  The enemy thought he had you trapped in your sins, and in your past and in your hurt, but thanks be to God you are not still at that point.

I love my scars and trust me I do have many of them.  There is a song by Marvin Sapp off of his new album titled "I win".  The song is titled "My testimony".  This song helped get me through the first 7 months of this year.  It's been a rough year and listening to this song kept me focused on where my help comes from.  Rev Sapp had lost his wife and he went through an extremely hard time in his life.  This song is his testimony and I pray you look for it on you tube or just go buy the album.  It is a wonderful testament to God's love and provision.  I leave you with a snippet of the song "Testimony" and as you read thank God for your very own battle scars....

So glad I made it.....I made it through.....In spite of the storm the rain heartache and pain. I'm still alive declaring...... I made it through...See I didn't lose....Experience lost at a major cost....But i never lost faith in you.  So when you see me cry....it's just a sign I'm still alive....I've got some scars but I am still alive....In spite of calamity he still has a plan for me and it's still working out for my good....and it's building my testimony - Marvin Sapp "My Testimony"

No comments: