And the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two but one flesh....Mark 10:8
I was thinking about this today while shaving. Yep while shaving myself looking in the mirror this scripture came to mind. As I shaved I thought about how happy I am being single. Those who have followed this blog know that I was just recently divorced for the second time and normally conditions like that would turn folk off from marriage or even wanting to engage with the opposite sex any more. Neither one of those are my feelings. Do I still desire to get married? Sure if it's the Lord's will for me to. Do I still enjoy female companionship? Obviously, but only with certain boundaries as now I protect my spirit at all costs.
One thing I prayed for all year was what Phil 4:11 states. Not that I am speaking of in need, for i have learned in whatever situation to be content. Being single and being content in my singleness is something I had to learn and appreciate. You must first be content in your singleness before even fathoming the idea of being married in the future. The word says "and the two shall become one flesh"; it does not say "and the two halves shall become one". It's not 1/2 + 1/2= 1; it's 1+1=1....Do you get it yet?You have to be a whole "one" before you can join with another whole "one". If you have character insecurities and lack of a solid foundation in Christ, you should not be looking at marriage yet. The thing is I am sure to some degree someone has told me this before and my stubborn self didn't listen....at least twice. So needless to say I am all ears and way more receptive to God's word vs my own words.
I love the fact that I can go where I please when I please. It's something you miss when you are committed to another person. I like getting up and praying whenever I feel like it or reading my bible whenever or even going on hospital visits or just visiting another church. All of these things I am sure I can have with an understanding wife, but my priorities change once I have her with me; as it should. I still pray even today....
Lord if I can serve you better single then keep me single; if I can serve you better Married than prepare me for such a union when the given time is near.
I personally believe I serve the Lord better single. Doesn't mean I don't desire to be maybe one last time, but right now my focus is all Christ and what I can do for him vs Christ and my wife, what can I do for them both. Being this way singles me out because I am very serious about my walk with the Lord and walking in the Spirit and not the flesh. Men of God have to take this stance in order to live a holy life. It will to some degree alienate you and probably get you talked about. But like I was once told before "there is no man or woman on this earth that has a heaven or hell to put you in, so serve the one true master and let the rest lie". And just like that I stick to it.
So if any of you single men of God out there have any aspirations to be married; try being a whole single person first. Get that foundation in Christ strong first, allow the Lord to lead and guide you every step of the way, hold fast to your integrity and Christian character. Never let the excuse of no man can judge you so you act a fool anyway. Scripture says in Matt 7:16 and you shall know them by their fruits. What fruit are you producing? Rotten fruit, sexually immoral fruit, idolatry fruit, hate fruit, death fruit. Or are you producing fruit of the Spirit; love, peace, joy, kindness, meekness, humility.
When you look in the mirror what do you see? Be honest with yourself. If the Lord is first and foremost in your life, what do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you see a servant of the Lord who keeps the word of God principal in their life? Or do you see someone that compromises their integrity and character for their fleshly wants? Remember 1+1=1; you have got to be whole and only the Lord himself can make you such...
1 comment:
wow, awesome! really ministered to me cause I've been learning a lot about being single and not rushing into anything! My desire is to produce fruits that only come from God and no sexual immorality whatsoever! We cannot afford to pollute our spirit with our lust and all kinds of nonsense! God is good, yay!
Post a Comment