Excuse me if I sound just a little hood tonight, but yo I was thoroughly blessed tonight after watching a you tube video about rapper Cassidy. Cassidy is a well known battle rapper from Philadelphia (Philly) that was one of my favorites back in 2004-05. Now I am not gonna get into some of his hits, because if you really want to know who he was you can just Google him and find out.
But i do want to talk about what he did and how it has blessed me as i watched it. I posted the video here and if you fast forward to 22:20 he begins spitting (rapping) these bars (lines) about God and his relationship with him.
Now like I said I used to bump his music in my ride many a hours back when he was real hot (popular)...I told you to forgive me for sounding hood. So I decided to check out his video to see what's been up with him these last 7 years. You can hear his growth and maturity just in the interview alone. Even when people wanted him to get all riled up about some rap beef between him and another rapper; he continually diffused it.
But on the reason why I had to write this. So at the end of the interview they tell Cass that they just can't let me leave with out rapping a little something something. So he said I want to do something a little different this time. he said if you want to hear my usual stuff you can download the mix tape, but while i am on the air I have been getting to know my God and I want to share.....YOOOO this opened my eyes wide. I was not expecting to hear that from Cassidy.
So he begins rapping and talking about his relationship with Christ and how he has been reading his bible. The brother nearly had me in tears. I know where this man comes from; heck I have been this man (minus the money). So to see him grown and be excited to talk about our Lord and savior like this I had to just shout thank you Lord for grabbing another one. I really want you to listen to it thats why I forced myself to figure out how to post a video on the blog lol.
My thing is this. For the brothers; as long as the Lord gives you another day, you got a chance. It's never to late for any of you to change and turn from your wicked ways (Acts 3:19). To see Cassidy spit bars that made sense. You don't put in scripture the way he did unless you did some studying. I could feel his excitement to minister about who God is to him and how he has changed him. Sure he may not be there yet, but his journey has begun. God has called him to himself and Cassidy has heeded , not just heard, the call.
A lot of us brothers have heard the call to come to Christ, but we dismissed it for one reason or the other. We would look soft, we don't know who God is, why would he ever take me? or I have done to much to ever turn back. None of these are valid reasons to not give Christ a try; they are excuses and tricks of the enemy to keep us from Christ.
I grew up in the 90's, I was born in the late 70's so my main music is and will always be rap. That is my old school music. Sure I got some R&B favorites from back in the day, but mostly it's rap. And now that I live for Christ i only listen to gospel rap or christian music as a whole. But i tell you to hear a worldly rapper say i want to share my God with the world while I got a chance will hit millions. This is the point. This is why i pray that any opportunity I get to share my Lord and savior with others, let me not be afraid to do so. let not fear keep me from sharing. Mind you Cassidy was in a room full of folk who probably don't believe or could care less, but yet and still God moved and touched his heart to share.
Cassidy's testimony reminds me of a song (not a rap song) that we still sing in church today it goes something like this......This little light of mine....I'm gonna let it shine....OOOOHHH......this little light of mine.....I'm gonna let it shine.....This little light of mine......I'm gonna let it shine........LET IT SHINE....LET IT SHINE....LET IT SHINNNNNNEEE.....(like it so much i put the video up lol)
And that is exactly what Cassidy did. However small the light is, it's there and he shared it. And i pray for my brothers in Christ out there that you let that light shine. No matter how small it is; let it shine.
2 comments:
You know who else Im excited about being a Christian. Lin from 106&Park. He was like the champion battle rapper. He got saved and just dropped his first album. Its so encouraging to see what the Lord is doing.
Absolutely a blessing to hear! Man Cass would be in good company if he decided to make a go at God's Rap. With Lecrae, DA Truth, Trip Lee, and now No Malice, he'd be right.
Post a Comment