Wednesday, October 24, 2012

First shall be Last and last shall be first...

The title of this post derives from the scripture given in Matt 20:16.  Jesus tells a parable of laborers in the vineyard; I would suggest you read the first 16 verses for yourself please before reading on.

Let me first apologize I had not been blogging for the last few days because so many things have been going on I just ask that you keep me in your prayers as I do for all others in the faith.

This scripture passage came to me as I was studying and i thought it was a great compliment to what I wanted to discuss and teach about service.  I am assuming you read the scripture passage so if nothing makes any sense I would suggest you pause and then read it.  If you do not have a bible but have access to a computer (hence you are looking at my blog) go to biblegateway.com and type in Matt 20:1-16 and read it that way or just plain Google the scripture.  That should get you started on the right foot

In verses 11-14  of Matt 20 we have servants complaining on what is fair and what is not.  They agreed to a days wage based on the verbal contract between the master and themselves.  Verse 14 continues further by the master explaining the terms of the contract and then reconfirming his position and right as the master of the house.  This is a common attitude even in today's society in the workplace or in the church or even at home.  The master has the final say and an honorable master will honor his word.

Flip forward in your bible to John chapter 13.  We are now back at the account (not story) of Jesus washing his disciples feet.  I want to attack this passage this a certain way.  This is how the Lord is showing it to me and so I want to share it with you the same.  Normally you do not preach scripture backwards.  Obviously since it did not happen backwards that would make perfect sense.  What I want to discuss is not necessarily the events themselves, but the thought process of Christ.  Now in no way am I saying I know how Christ thinks, but I am saying that it is because of his Holy Spirit who resides in me, I know the depths of God ( 1 Corinthians 2:6-16).  What he chooses to reveal to me is what i meditate on and share with his people.

Now we have Christ getting ready to sit down and enjoy fellowship and a meal with his disciples before he is to be taken away and then crucified for our sins.  He knows what is coming and nothing surprises him.  If you look in verse 15-16 you see Christ explaining that he has given them (and us) an example of how to be a servant.  Verse 16 says Truly, truly, I say  to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

Christ right in these two verses tells us how to "stay in our lane", how to remain humble and a servant for the one true master.  In the scripture passage I touched on earlier (Matt 20:1-16) these servants had forgotten their place.  They didn't stay in their own lane.  They were too worried about what they thought was fair instead of realizing that it is the master who decides what is fair and not.  We may not like it sometimes, but it is not for us to decide when we are under employment of someone else.

As believers we are all under Christ.  Christ is our Lord and Master and we are to obey him and trust in his just judgment and actions in our lives.  Christ also knew his place.  Even though him and the father are one; he knows who sent him (John 20:21; 6:57).  Christ was sent by His master, God the Father.  The disciples needed to understand first that no servant is greater than their master.  This is no new revelation to Christ.  Christ didn't suddenly get down on his knees to wash the disciple feet and THEN come to the revelation that a servant is not greater than his master.  He knew before he committed the act of washing their feet.  Christ knows (not knew) all.  He knew who would betray him at the Passover (John 13:21) and he knew exactly what his purpose of being on earth was for.

It is us who are at the mercy of God's revelation in our lives.  We are the ones that need to be fed and led by Christ not the other way around.  A master doesn't make it to being master by chance.  Something had to happen in order for that person to receive the title of master.  Someone had to appoint them and say you are in charge of these people or this land.  Since nothing came before God and no one made or appointed God we know God is the one true master of all.  Moses was appointed over the children of Israel, David was appointed King and ruler over Israel and the Jewish people.  But no one appointed God.  He has the final say and makes the last call.

Verse 18 of Matt 13 says I am not speaking to all of you; for I know whom I have chosen.  Christ does the choosing on who will serve him and to what capacity they will serve.  Christ makes the choosing not man.  He may use man to deliver the message, but it is by Christ's almighty hand that it happens.  God desires all to come to him and if you are hearing the call of Christ in your spirit to come to him then you need to heed to the call.  The moment you accept the call to come to Christ you are now given a new job title and master.  You are now a servant of the Lord and Christ is your new master.  You are no longer a slave to the world and your sins.  You no longer answer to the devil and his authority in your past life.  You are reborn and reassigned.  New orders have been given and it is your job to carry them out.  Christ said it himself  "No servant is greater than his master.."

The moment you accept Christ as your Lord and Savior you are under new leadership and new orders.  Christ tried to show his disciples first and foremost that even He had a master and He has orders.  By showing the disciples His desire to serve them, he reminds them of what he is there to do and who sent Him to do it; as well as showing them what they are to do and who is sending them to do it.   First and last has nothing to do with status and everything to do with heart.  If your heart is to serve yourself first then you will be last; but if your desire is to serve yourself last then you will be first.  God will elevate your humility and service.

1 comment:

Tiisetso Sephai said...

amen, this does sound like a good sermon! I know its not easy to write down exactly how God reveals scripture to you, but through the help of the Holy spirit you did an awesome job! Thanx for sharing and yes, I will pray for you always:) stay blessed brother in Christ!