I love the show SCANDAL. I wouldn't say I am addicted per se; seeing as how I do not follow the show week to week. I am the kind of person that prefers to let almost a whole season go by and then watch them one by one right after another. Instead of the anticipation killing me I can just get it all out i one sitting, but anyway I digress. This show seems to be centralized behind one biblical scripture more than any other and that is Mark 4:22 - For whatever is hidden is meant to be disclosed, and whatever is concealed is meant to be brought out into the open (NIV).
That single scripture is the reoccurring thesis in this show. Now I will take my stance on this scripture right now. I have read it and I have studied the text and no matter how you try and slice it, this scripture (like all once studied) is plain. If you read the scripture before, verse 21, you see that Christ himself gives an analogy before actually explaining the meaning in verse 22. Evil deeds, secrets and things done in hiding will come to light. This is God himself saying that things that are hidden will eventually come to the light. And for those that want to say "well Jesus is the light so therefore the only person that needs to see your dirty secrets is Christ alone". I say this; scripture also says in Matt 5:14-16 "You are the Light of the world, a city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and then put it under a basket, but on a stand and gives light to the whole house. In the same way let your light shine before others so that, they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven (ESV).
So yet again Christ talks about the lamp hidden under a basket makes no sense. And just as that makes no sense so does the notion that secrets are meant to be hidden. That is the worlds way of thinking not Gods.....and yet we do it anyway. As shown in the show SCANDAL, we simply just don't really care if our secrets are shown or not. Even in a fictional show that is all about secrets, everything comes to light. Whether the whole world knows of the secret deeds in the White House or just a small select few. Secrets, skeletons, private stories all eventually come to light.
My thing is why would you try and twist scripture by saying my secrets only need to come out to Christ alone? To suit your own personal skeletons would be my thinking. People want to be able to justify their actions with their own precepts. In order for that to happen that means anything that is against it has to go. No different than sayyyyy oooohhh I don't know..... Religion maybe? Whatever it is you believe that is what you will fight for. But the difference between Religion and a true relationship with God and his Holy Word is what I just said, a true relationship with God. A true relationship is not going to let you compromise God's word. You can't even chalk that up to understanding, because what we don't understand the Holy Spirit fills in the blanks. You don't know if.....
you should smoke weed, because the bible isn't totally clear to you on that
you should live with the opposite sex before marriage, because the bible isn't totally clear to you on that
you should tell a little lie, because the bible isn't totally clear to you on that.
Guess what, where we are not clear, the Holy Spirit makes clear for us. If we have accepted Christ as our Lord and Savior than the Holy Spirit lives within us, which means he will guide us on the correct path. Whether we choose to listen or ignore his warnings is our own personal choice. We can either keep playing this game of cat and mouse with our spirit or we can start walking and living in the Spirit versus our flesh.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is the light and it is that light which will shine in darkness. The Gospel is truth and therefore truth will shine in darkness no matter how much darkness is around it. So remember that the next time you decide to say something along the lines of "that's not going to stop me from doing what I want to do". Satan uses secrets and darkness to eat at you, if you take that power away from him then what does he have to manipulate you with? Nothing. He has to go to another tactic to try and get at you. But at least then the enemy knows this will not work on you. Your faith and life is in God and led by the Spirit and has no place for darkness to invade.
For me there is no greater joy than making the devil angry. That joy is more lasting than the satisfaction I get from the sin I either want to commit or just committed. I try and remember that every time my flesh riles up against my spirit "The cost is too great". I don't always succeed in defeating the temptations that come at me, but I do repent and then try harder the next time. and I try and remember that the cost is too great if I sin against God. It aint easy, but the Bible never said it would be... - Be blessed

No comments:
Post a Comment