Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Courage under fire

No this has nothing to do with Denzel Washington, even though he is one of my favorite actors.  I want to discuss fears more so than courage....Courage was just to draw you in :) I think that even though we are men of God, trying to follow the ways of Christ, we tend to hold on to the worlds backwards philosophy on men and fear.  The world says men are to remain fearless and show no weakness in any area, because people can use that against you.  And there is some serious truth to that, however as believers relying on our strength alone will only take us so far.  When the Bible talks about anything with courage or strength it is not talking about our own physical capability.  Scriptures like Dn 10:19 are awesome.  Daniel had a vision of the Lord who appeared to him as a man.  Daniel was so fearful and humbled by his presence that his body and spirit was just drained.  I mean think about it.  You know you are in the presence of the Lord and He is speaking to you and all you can do is do what Daniel did and tremble and hang your head low.  Daniel was at the end of a three week fast and so he was physically drained first.  But as you read the chapter you see that he willfully admitted to the Lord that he was weak and had no breath left in him...Dn 10:17.

God wants us, men and women, to lean on him for strength.  As soon as Daniel admitted his weakness to God the Lord gave him encouragement.  He didn't bash him and say suck it up, look at verse 18...God said to Daniel. "O greatly loved man, fear not, peace be with you; be strong and of good courage" and Daniel was strengthened by his words.  An encouraging word can go a long way.  The gift of exhortation is one of many that comes from the Holy Spirit.  To be uplifted by God is just truly amazing.  I mean can you imagine; the Lord telling you in a vision specifically for you, words of encouragement?  The Bible is full of this encouragement from God.

When the Lord strengthens us we get courage.  We are able to take on this world because we know we are not alone.  The world wants you to turn to yourself.  The bible teaches us to turn to Christ.  I love admitting my fears to God because then I am no longer a prisoner of it.  When I confess to the Lord my fears I empty out the fear and make room for His strength.  Don't that sound good?  2 Tim 1:7  states that this type of fear does not come from the Lord.  This fear of the world, fear of our circumstances, fear of problems that may rise against us.  For he will never leave us nor forsake us Deut 31:6.  I love the word of God.  This is why I said as commissioned men we need to make the word of God principal in our lives.  The word combined with the Holy Spirit living within us makes us a dangerous combination for Satan to come and attack.

Scriptures to remind you where your true strength comes from:

Prov 3:5-6
Ps 119:28
Ps 105:4
Ps 73:26
Is 40:29
Is 41:10

These are just a few that are in the word of God.  Get to know your bible and see that the Lord is where true strength and courage come from.  Not from our will or ability.  When we are totally dependent on Him; he can have free reign to use us and strengthen us.

1 comment:

Tiisetso Sephai said...

amen!