Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Content in Christ alone

I just recently celebrated my 35th birthday this year.  It was truly a blessed and wonderful weekend.  I spent time with my friends and family and loved ones.  To be given so much is overwhelming for me.  Every person I come in contact with; every friend I make; every person I get to minister always points back to the father.  There was a time in my life where I would not give credit to God almighty for everything and everyone in my life.  Now I can't thank him enough.  I may not have much and trouble seems to always know my name; but like the scripture says....

Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. Phil 4:11

See when we spend so much time trying to please our flesh we forget all about God being enough all by himself.  The lust of the flesh, eyes, and the pride of life destroys that contentment in Christ alone.  You spend insane amounts of time trying to fill a void in you that only Christ can fill.  Having all the money you want to take care of every need.  Or maybe its that woman that seems to just make you complete and full.  Or that new ride that shows I have made it somewhere.  All of these things are just that things.  Finite stuff that will not bring you any closer to being content with Christ alone.  What happens when the money is low, or when that woman is fed up with you, or that car gets wrecked?  Scripture says for us to set our sights on things above and not below.

Set your mind on things that are above, and not on things that are on the earth. Colossians 3:2

Being content in the Lord should be our first priority right after accepting Christ as our Lord and savior.  God is a jealous God and he will have nothing and no one else above him.  Look at Matthew 10:34-39.  We have to be willing to forsake all for the Kingdom of heaven and Christ alone.  Until then we will never be content.  Paul teaches us that this contentment is learned and not given to us.  You don't just pick up the bible and say "I am content"; it don't work that way.

This goes against everything that is YOLO (you only live once) and worldly.  The world wants you to live for you, but to be a commissioned man of God  you have to be content with only the Lord of hosts.  Contentment with God comes at a price.  Don't think you are just going to be content and be accepted by the world.  Even other saints are not going to get you, because they may have not reached that point of contentment.  Paul said in every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundant and need Phil 4:12.  This mystery, this secret is only found in seeking the Lord.  You want to know how to do it?  Read your Bible, pray to the father to be content to be satisfied with just knowing Him.

This secret that I too have learned has changed my life and my walk with Christ.  I can and have lost homes, relationships, jobs, and friends.  And yet and still I still praise the Lord.  Because even though all of that has been taken away, the Lord has never left me alone.  I put all my trust in him and I would pray that one day soon you would do the same.  As I read the bible more I find many scriptures that I love and take to, but there is one that defines this whole year, if not even my life.

Though he slay me, yet will I trust him...Job 13:15

Job lost it all and still was content in the Lord.  Doesn't mean he didn't care about all he lost, including his family.  But it shows that his relationship with God had to be so tight that when the storm comes raging he can stand strong and know that his life and steps are ordered by God.  Contentment is a requirement when you have been commissioned by God.  God is a jealous God and he wants you all to himself.  Will you sacrifice all for His purpose and plan for your life?

No comments: