Tuesday, March 5, 2013

The Bible miniseries: Review

Ok I know I am a little late with the review but I had not decided to do one of each episode until now....No literally right now lol.  First off I loved it.  I loved the re-enactment the message the soul and spirit of this visual representation of our most cherished teachings.  I sat watching this episode with my mom while texting a friend back and forth after every single thing.  So I figured since I have never really done a review per se I figured I would start with the Good and end on some of the Bad things about this movie.


GOOD: I loved how they used Noah telling the story.  Instead of getting knee deep into what happened he basically gave a short rundown of the first seven days of creation and why, because of the fall, we are in the mess we are in as a human race.  I loved the vastness of the sheer size of the ark.  No need to show two by two of every animal, just a few was more than enough.  What better fitting way than to discuss the father of the nations than with Abram (Abraham).  I remembered a lot of what the Bible says as far as the events that happened and how they took place.

Now some (if not many) people are tripping because the actor that played an angel that was taking Lot and his family to safety was doing some really cool martial arts fighting to save the people.  Now for the super critical and overly argumentative this is an INTERPRETATION of the Bible.  In the Bible it says that the angels guided them out of the city to protect them from God's judgment (Gen 19:11-18).  It does not say how it was done and therefore you can leave that to INTERPRETATION or your imagination.  So to add some spice and excitement they used martial arts, which was pretty cool.  We have no idea what those angels did to get through the mass of people(it was a city after all) and escape.  He could of used rockets, a Gatling gun, an alien, an army, whatever.  The point is they did not steer from the Bible there.  The Bible does not say and therefore the creators of the show was free to use their imagination within the realms of the times.

Another thing I read people were tripping about is the fact that when Abraham was getting ready to sacrifice his son Issac in the King James version of the Bible it said the Lord offered a ram caught by his horns in the thicket (Gen 22:13).  Now I get that the Bible explicitly says that it was a ram caught by thorns, but lets examine this for a moment.  The Bible says ram the show had a lamb; same family species.  Next the ram was caught by it's horns; ok and the show showed the lamb being caught by it's leg.  Are you beginning to see the stupidity of some peoples speculation on this?  The fact of the matter is God provided a sacrifice to save his son since Abram passed the faith test.  People get so caught up in specifics they miss the point of the message.

You got people have never even read the bible beyond Sunday school barking and trying to discredit the efforts of this rendition of the Bible.  Now I am no theologian and I am still very much learning and will be learning until my death bed, but I am learning this great word, this great book and they are pretty much on the money.  Another minister and I are both texting about things before they happen just to see if they happen. which brings me to the bad points....

BAD: I really would have liked to see the cloud pillar of fire when Moses parted the Red sea.  I was really expecting to see some cool special effect on that, but alas I guess the Ten Commandments movie will regin supreme on that special effect.  I was able to forgive that because other effects like the fire from heaven on Sodom and Gomorrah was like a meteor shower which was cool, or the parting of the Red sea which was cool.

I would have liked to see about Isaac's son's Jacob and Esau seeing as how they played a pivotal role in the twelve tribes of Israel and how that all came about.  I felt they dropped the ball on that part.  i know the mini series is only 5 Sundays and 10 hours, but if that's the case, unless it was budgeting they should show the miniseries twice a week.  Possibly Sunday and Wednesday would be a good choice.  I really wanted to see Jacob go through his troubles and wrestle with the Angel of the Lord (Christ).  Mostly because I wrote a sermon on that and to see that story come to life would be kind of cool.

The only other bad thing I can think of is that it ended lol.  I really wanted to see more and I cannot wait to see the walls of Jericho come crashing down.  I know they can't pack it all in, but I am hoping to see a lot of major stories and some that rarely get talked about.  Like Nehemiah rebuilding the walls of Jerusalem.  Or the writing on the wall in the book of Daniel or maybe even Elijah telling the prophets to build their alter and pray to their gods to bring fire from heaven down.  Stuff like that would make this movie awesome.

FINAL THOUGHTS:  Well I guess you can obviously tell I am so far a fan and will definitely keep my dvd recorder at the ready.  I really encourage people to look at the message and understand that they are doing what we are all commissioned to do and that is Spread the Good News of Jesus Christ of God our creator.  Some preachers mess up in the pulpit.  Sometimes human error gets in the way of God's message and yes correction is needed but so does love and understanding.  If you remember nothing else about this show remember what the bible says in 1 Corinthians 3:7 - So neither who plants or who waters is significant, but God is the one who grants the growing increase.  It is God alone who does the heart touching and heart changing.  We are all vessels to be used for his glory; we don't deserve any praise.  If we are gonna boast then we boast in the Lord 1 Corinthians 1:31. - Be blessed and a blessing

1 comment:

Tiisetso Sephai said...

lol you just having fun and educating some of us right here hey! i just love your blogs!! So insightful for some of us!! oh and for us who don't watch movies, at least we get to know whats happening in the world of movies out there!