I used to be a big Disney fan in my former years on this earth. As the Lord grows me up more in his word I start finding myself having to take a stand and make a choice on various topics of issue. So I say that knowing that there are many believers out there who will read this post and say I am being too extreme or I am reading into things too much or I am trying to take the enjoyment out of life. I say this to that....
My people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. Hosea 4:6
If you just read this verse alone you may think what's the big deal, man is all about knowledge; but if you read verse one it talks explicitly about what knowledge is lacking; "no knowledge of God in the land". This movie Maleficent is a prime example of lack of knowledge or flat out just not caring about the things of God. I plan to deal with various things concerning this movie and the effects it has on God's people negatively. Spoilers below. Even though I would rather you not give your hard earned money to the devils "ministry" that ultimately is your choice.
Now being an old school fan of Sleeping beauty the movie my interest to see it was already peaked. Not to mention a family member had also stated that it was a good movie and that I would like it. Now first things first. The original movie is a bout a princess that is cursed and then has to be awakened by true loves kiss, just like every other Disney movie made during that time. Why, talking about me now, is a man looking forward to seeing a movie such as this? These movies specifically targeted girls and here I was wanting to see it. I find it funny when church folk want to say "that's just a trick of the enemy" on everything except music and movies and television. When those things are the biggest "sleight of hand" illusion tools that Satan uses to trick us and desensitize us. Ok, back to the movie; This brothers and sisters is not your childhood fantasy. They have made quite a few changes to the story. First off Maleficent is not a witch anymore or sorceress; she is a fairy. A fairy? really? See right here is where I distinct the reason why I liked the old sleeping beauty to the new Maleficent movie. In the original movie at the very least evil was evil and good was good. Even if it was an a skewed version of good and evil. What do I mean by a skewed? White and human were good, fairies were considered good (even though they used magic but it was good magic), when there was a threat to the kingdom there was no blurred lines to who was the culprit. That brothers and sisters I could respect. But this mess had me and my date uncomfortable, bored and angry. It took the holy Spirit to calm me down while watching this movie. I wasn't into it 15 min and my mind went from trying to enjoy the movie to trying to see what the devil was trying to throw in our faces.
Disney in all their "wisdom" decided to make this movie a revenge story instead of just pure hatred and evil. They want to show a softer side of reasoning for evil. So they conjured up this so called "true version" of the story of sleeping beauty. To show the evil side of man they had come up with an idea that would make man look unreasonable and downright cruel. Initially man was going to vanquish all the "fairies" and mystical things not like them that was living in the woods. Disney chose to use the route of prejudice instead of right and wrong or good and evil. With Prejudice you can blur the lines a little. You can't blur the lines with black and white or good and evil; either it is or it isn't. The woods creatures were depicted and defending themselves since man came to their home to vanquish them instead of the other way around. Then after man losing the battle man once again attacked maleficent. This time man wasn't all evil he showed a little mercy. Instead of killing Maleficent he just cut of her wings instead. Remember she's a "fairy" in this movie. No such reference was ever given or stated in the 1959 original movie but like I said before; the way Disney fights that truth is by saying the original story was a lie to make man look good and evil look.....evil. In this movie man is evil and evil has a heart. At least in the movie Snow White and the huntsmen the evil queen was indeed the evil queen.
Some similarites they kept the same as the original. There was a king named Stephen; there were three fairies that were the daughters babysitter/guardians; there was a dragon, there was a prince, there was magic. So they made sure that the story had key elements that were from the original but again this is from the perspective of the witch Maleficent. I call her a witch because that is what she was initially and that is what she still is. No matter what Disney tries to call her. since fairies have magic that is the excuse they give as to her magic. The only difference is shes using her magic for evil instead of good. Oh and did I mention that the prince is not the one who saves the sleeping beauty from the curse. OOOOHHH no it is........wait for it...............the curse giver herself, Maleficent. So once again the world tries to show the coexistence of good and evil. They show revenge is justifiable, because the humans started this so Maleficent is justified in her actions and dealings with them. Even the princess who was cursed by the witch wanted to live in the woods with her curse giver even after she found out she was evil. Mind you Maleficent never told the girl that she was the one who cursed her and basically killed her. Since the witch saved the princess; the princess felt that it is only fair to return the favor.
Now for the most part I am on the side of man. Yes they initiated the fight in order to vanquish evil. I have no problem with that. What I do have a problem with is the fact that they did not know their enemy. They were careless and stupid in their dealings. We in the real world are no different from them. Because of a lack of knowledge and understanding about the enemy we charge in hastily and unprepared. Maleficent was able to infiltrate the castle undetected as well as overpower the humans. If it had not been for the traitor daughter who felt sorry for the witch the humans would have won. But because of her sympathy for evil she sided with evil. There are so many things wrong with the teachings in this movie it sickens me. Yes it is a movie but it is not only a movie. That's like saying "it's only music"; these things are tools that can used to either teach right or wrong. The Bible says that...
Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Prov 18:21
This movie is promoting death and the world is eating the fruit of it up. Every year movies and television get more and more bold. They push that line further and further back. Before long the enemy will be staring you right in your face instead of being several feet away from you.
Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For "what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with Belial? Or what portion does a believer share with an unbeliever? For we are the temple of the living God... 2 Corinthians 6:14-16
Please here me saints of God, brothers and sisters in Christ. I love movies and I love to watch various types. But my love for movies does not overshadow my love for Christ more. If I have to give up watching certain movies in order to maintain my relationship with the Lord then so be it. I am a huuuuuuuge fan of fantasy and stuff and for the most part I don't have an issue with it because I know where I stand personally. But as the Spirit grows me up in the word of God my eyes begin to open more and more in areas I may not have been ready to receive at one point or the other. So instead of rejecting the Holy Spirit when he is trying to get your attention and strengthen your relationship with Jesus Christ; why not allow him to have his way with you?
Share in suffering as a good solder of Christ Jesus. No soldier gets entangled in civillain pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him. 2 Timothy 2:3,4
I pray that this has been a blessing to you and I just ask to please keep me uplifted in prayer as I continue to pray for all of you. ~Be blessed and a blessing~
No comments:
Post a Comment