Sunday, December 8, 2013

When will people wake up?

There was a time I used to go with the status quo.  I would just mozy alone with everything because, well, that was the norm to me.  I can honestly say with all confidence that Society continues to amaze me.  And by society I mean America.  There has been a lot of buzz about the "slipping pass security", 15 years later sequel movie THE BEST MAN HOLIDAY.  I had debated writing this post as I didn't want to jump on the bandwagon, but a description of the movie keeps ringing in my head over and over; and that is that "The Best Man Holiday is the perfect holiday movie in the hood".  This comment was so mean and hurtful I immediately had to pray on my own attitude to not let it get the best of me as well as forgive ignorance from the person who wrote it.

Being blind then awakened to racial injustices is a lot like being reborn again in Christ.  as the blind man said "...I once was blind but now I see" (John 9:25).  In the text Jesus heals a man born blind.  Please catch that word; born.  He knew nothing beyond what he had been accustomed to all his life.  Here is where God teaches me grace and forgiveness for people that view this movie as a "black" movie or a "hood" movie.  When you are born into something your whole life and all you know is what you see and are used to.  You can't really blame them for their way of thinking.  It doesn't mean we accept it either, but it does give God an opportunity to show his love and grace.  How so you may ask?  Here is a movie that is rated R for strong language and sexual content (not for kiddies) and yet the Lord still blessed it.  Why?  Why bless something that clearly is not "churchy" or "holy"?  Because through it, Christ is going to be glorified and magnified.  Check it out this way; the bible says that the man was born blind.  The Bible teaches us that we were all born in sin (Psalms 51:5).  Jesus told the pharisees that his being blind had nothing to do with his parents sins or his own, but so that God will be exalted.  The Rain falls on the just and unjust alike and so does God's blessings.  Had Christ casted his people to the side, then there would be no one left to speak of his love, grace or glory.  It's that same grace and forgiveness that needs to be shown here.

Even through slavery and even through social problems of today, Christ is still in control and through this he will be glorified.  The movie for me pointed me right back to Christs love for me. I saw his grace in love through these stories.  Yes the story is fictional, but not the blessings and not the struggles.  Christ will be exalted even the worst of evil in the world.  He used me; a person who was sinking so far deep in sin that you have to wonder why would the Lord even want to use someone so vile.  And yet, the Lord did so that he may be glorified.  It has nothing to do with my parents being followers of Christ or that my dad is an Elder.  This is all about Christ and Christ alone.  When will people wake up and see that the bigger picture, God's picture, is more important that the little squabbles we entertain?  Instead of trying to find a reason why the movie did well; how about we just be thankful that it did well?  How about we just give God glory that families were blessed through the sales, children were fed, bills were paid, and someone got to pursue their dream to act and share their gift with the world.  But instead we'd rather draw straws at how someone made it to where they are.

I have an idea; instead of thinking like that.  Why don't we just do like the blind man says in John 9:25 I don't know if the man was a sinner or not, but all I know is i was once blind but now I see.  Forget all the other stuff and lets just focus on the blessing bestowed and relish together in giving thanks for the accomplishment.  Brothers and sisters don't be mad at those who curse you, but as the word says just pray for them (Matthew 5:44).  Remember, at one point you too were blind to the truth of the gospel and Jesus Christ.  So how about we return that same love given to us to the world.  - be blessed and a blessing

No comments: