Ok so being that thanksgiving just passed and Christmas is
on the way, I figured I would tackle the dreaded L in our acronym H.A.L.T.;
Lonely. If you are just now joining, I
have been discussing spiritual warfare and some of the enemies tactics to try and
get us to live a defeated life away from God.
His sole purpose is destroy any chance of a relationship with Christ
Jesus. I will say this and move on. The devil is not all powerful, he is a punk
and is a coward. The devil is not on the
same playing field as God. In the bible,
as stated in the book of revelation, we Christians win and he loses. He is thrown into the same hell we are thrown
in. Not to rule (as pop culture portrays
hell) but to suffer for all eternity.
Now me personally as a human, knowing someone is trying to take me out,
I would take the fight to them. The
devil, like us was created and therefore is also under God’s rule. He knows his fate and instead of taking out
God (which he cannot do) he decides to take out what God loves most, you and
I. So please understand this is a
personal vendetta to take us out and keep us bound. Now having said that, let
us proceed.
I hate being lonely!!!! Yep as a man and a minister I have
just confessed a serious thorn in my flesh, loneliness. I have an addiction problem to
companionship. For the first time in my
life I am lonely. No wife, no
girlfriend, no significant other just me.
I have been divorced this second time for almost 2 years. Before that I had not been lonely since
1998. I jumped from one bad relationship
to another. All the while destroying
other people because I was not willing to see what was wrong with me. I say this because if you don’t allow the
Holy Spirit to show you yourself and then give a thorough self-examination of
who you are, you will always be vulnerable and susceptible to the devils
attacks on your life. No point in knowing enemy if you don’t know yourself
first. As a man and someone who has
rededicated his life back to the Lord, ministers to a people in jail and
anywhere else the Lord leads; I struggle with being lonely. It is something I am not used to nor did I
want to get used to it. But here I am grinding
this thing out day by day.
Now let me explain something; I am lonely but not
alone. The devil plays on this
distinction because we tend to think they are both one and the same. Because I am lonely the devil uses dreams and
fixation of the opposite sex to lure me into believing that being lonely
equates being alone, and it doesn’t. I
am rich in family and in close friendship.
I have people in the faith whom I love and respect. I have a church home to which I belong and have
others in whom I have fellowshipped with.
When you are in Christ you are never alone. Every believer and follower of Jesus Christ
is a brother or sister. You have family
and they are just as dysfunctional as another biological family. Please understand that as long as you think
being alone and lonely is the same thing, the devil will use this to confuse
you and have you seeking a relationship that God has not ordained for you to
have (trust me I know). And I feel I need
to say this for clarity…..ahem. Just because the Lord did not sign off your you
choosing to go one way versus his, does not mean he has left you hanging nor
would he not bless you because you chose to be hardheaded. Think of it like a parent to a child. You don’t stop loving a child or doing for a
child just bcause they want to be independent and hardheaded to boot. Same thing here. End sidebar
I’ve been through too much to look at a perspective that is
not Christ centered. And that brothers
and sisters is the point. What
perspective are you looking at your situation?
Is it a me centered perspective, a world centered perspective, or a
Christ centered perspective? Only one is
the way to go. The others will leave you
vulnerable to the devils attacks and can cause you to fall into
temptation. Would I like to be in a
Christ centered, loving relationship? Sure.
But not at the expense of doing it my way versus God’s way. You have to ask yourselves these questions,
because it is here where you find out just how do you actually define
yourself. It took me 34 years and 2
divorces and severall failed encounters to realize that as much as I want to be
in a real marriage sanctioned by God, it just isn’t time for me to be. Loneliness can cause depression, overeating,
stress, sexual impurity, anger, lack of sleep and a whole slew of other
problems that can cause you to fall into temptation and sin. Being lonely sucks but the one thing the
devil continually fails to learn about me is every chink in my armor or
character forces me to look to Christ that much more. Since I am that flawed and fragile I know
that I need the Lord just that much more.
It seems like a lifetime before I figured this out, but now that I know
this, I lean on the Holy Spirit and the Bible that much more. Remember the devil will use this to trip you
up. He will create and nuture a desire
in you so strong that you will begin to think this must be from the Lord. But the way to tell if it’s from the Lord is
this. Does what you desire line up with
the Bibles views or the worlds? Can you
be satisfied with the Lord with or without it?
If you can then the Lord could be directing you. If not then you may need to continue into
further prayer and guidance on your thought process. John 14:18 – I won’t leave you as orphans. I
will come to you. - Be blessed and a blessing
2 comments:
Great post. I'm at a similar place in my life right now. Loneliness is difficult, but better than the alternative of being in a relationship God didn't ordain (been there, done that). I like the distinction you made between being lonely and being alone -- it's important to recognize the difference.
Thank you for the reply. This distinction helped me take an honest look at my decision process for companionship. Yes I like the sharing something with someone bit but I do not like the miscommunication the lack of self confidence and the insecurities that plague true growth. If those things have not been dealt with then myself nor the other person should engage in anything beyond mutual friendship with each other. Thanks again for stopping through
Post a Comment