Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How ya livin???

You know it's been a while since I had the opportunity to write on my blog because of life.  Well the Lord uses life to teach us and grow us up in him.  Your seriousness about your faith is tested.  Your Love for Jesus Christ is tested.  Your dedication to his Word is tested.  And so now that I am back on the scene, I find it ironic that my first post would be the contrast to believing and living for Jesus.

I was looking at a youtube video for TBN (Trinity Broadcast Network) and I saw Steve Harvey and singer Tyrese Gibson.  So immediately I wanted to see what these two had to do on the show.  I will come back to that later.  So I began to watch the video and I am listening to Steve Harvey introduce Tyrese's new book.  So then as I am listening I read the comments of others who have already watched the video, so that I can get a better understanding of whats going on.  As I read the comments, one person says I am glad he (Tyrese) is a Christian.  So right there that immediately got my attention.  So then I read more comments and one says.....

"We've all come short of the glory of God.  So why judge Tyrese for who he is and how he is?  And think him knowing who the source is and understanding who gave him his gifts.  No I'm not justifying what he does because if you have real talent you shouldn't have to alter yourself for that.  But I think the only way to fully draw men to Christ is to love them through everything and guide them through their faults and not judge them. Judging them pushes them away.  At least he's trying to change"

Now most people would look at this comment and say "true, true, that's what the bible says; we shouldn't judge".  But the problem i have with this comment (that receive 40 thumbs up) is that this is the world's answer everytime someone calls a person's so called christian walk into question.  Now let me say this off the bat before I get shot with comments.  I am glad that Tyrese publicly talks about God and that God is the giver of these gifts and talents.  I commend him on doing so and pray he continues to grow in a TRUE understanding of the scriptures and LIVING for God.  

The world loves interviews like this, because it helps discredit the need to study and listen to the Word of God in whole.  When I see Tyrese I see a  singer and actor and rapper.  I have heard his lyrics and seen his movies and none of that screams follower of Jesus Christ.  He had a rap album (back in the day) that was so profane it almost was hard to believe it was the same sultry singer.  Then there are the Fast and Furious movies.  His language as an actor draws his so called christian walk into question.  Yes we all have worldly jobs; and yes not everyone is called to do some major labor in the church.  The Lord may use you right where you are at.  See people want to quote the bible when it comes to judging and then twist it and use it as a guard dog to block off people who would hold them accountable of their words.  So I say to them and others, that the bible says we must all be born again in order to receive salvation and the inheritance of the kingdom of heaven (John 3).  After you are born again the bible says that you are transformed and that the old self is shedded and the new self lives in its place (2 Corinthians 5:17).  A new person in Christ is brand new all over, not just in sections.  The desires you once had, you no longer have a taste for.  Now I am not saying everything is changed in an instant with everyone.  But what I am saying is this.  When you are in love with someone, you begin to act different.  Whether you are around that person or not.  You don't see life with the same eyes.  When people of the opposite sex comes into view, you no longer have any taste to stare or lust, because your fixation is on this new love that you have found.  It is the same as your christian walk.  When we become new in Christ we do not carry the same desires within us any more.  The Holy Spirit begins to change our tastes from what we used to like, to what God likes.

So when someone that says he is a believer claims Christ, I immediately thank God for that.  But then I also want to know....How ya livin?  I was reading this morning and came across a scripture I had marked in my bible.  In 1 John 3:4-6 it states 

Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness   You know that he (Jesus) appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.  No one who abides in him keeps on sinning; no one who keeps on sinning has either seen him or known him.

These are not my words, but the Gods words.  No one who says they truly knows Christ keeps on habitually sinning.  James, the author of the book in the bible with the same name, says in James 2:19 - You believe in God, that's good.  Even the demons believe....and shudder.  You say you believe in God, that's awesome, but so do demons.  The difference between a believer and a demon is your living.  How are you living for God?  Even at your worldly jobs, are you living for God?  We can't keep hiding behind the veil of "don't judge me" or "God's not through with me yet".  Eventually at some point we have to take a stand.  In relation to the topic of love.  When someone questions your love for them, most people immediately begin to prove their love.  They buy gifts for the other person, they may sing a song to them, they may write a poem or just plain be in their presence more.  Eventually their love is called into question and if you truly love that person, you are going to want to prove it.  Saying I love you is not always enough.  Saying you believe in God is not always enough.  It takes a life change, a heart change.  This is what Christianity is about.  Jesus came to give us a heart change, a life change.  He loved us enough that he came down to live among us.  Feel what we feel, experience what we experience, hurt where we hurt.  And then after all of that, he sacrificed himself to save us.  Jesus could of said "nuh uh, I see why people give up" and gave up himself.  But he had a mission and his mission was to bring us back to him where we belong.  
So yes it's good to see people claim Jesus Christ in word, but how much stronger are those words when we claim Christ in deed as well?  How are you livin? - Be blessed and a blessing

No comments: