Ok I am sure this is a topic that may get some side glances and some wtw "what the what?"; and I expect that. The question posed almost begs to be an oxymoron, but in today's society it's a valid question. I was studying and coming across an article about ordination of homosexuals to be preachers and ministers. Since I have been trying to see things biblically the first thing that came up in my mind was flesh understanding. That understanding reasoned that sin is sin and that no one sin is higher than the other. Well this is biblically true. It most definitely is not humanly true; for we can see just by the punishment of certain sins in mans eyes versus Gods. Whereas all sin is punishable by death according to scripture. Man has varying degrees of punishment. Thankfully Jesus Christ took that punishment for all mankind, to those who believe. So then with the reasoning about all sin is sin I thought about what if my Pastor was an openly gay preacher. Well then the Holy Spirit began to chime in and remind me of what the bible says in 1 Timothy 3. All who seek the office of Overseer (bishop, Pastor) must be above reproach. Must be sober-minded and self controlled and the husband of one wife. Now the husband of one wife can be debatable in terms of worldly thinking i.e. this was written in a time where woman had no real rights or equality in the eyes of man or being openly gay was not acceptable in society...yet. You can always find supporting reasons by searching out a scripture that seems to justify your way of thinking. But we must take the bible as a whole and not just in parts. For instance; the bible says homosexuality is a sin and an abomination. It also says that they shall not inherit the kingdom of God. So my line of thinking is this. Based on the bible alone as a whole. Why does a gay preacher think they are qualified to preach God's word? If the Lord has indeed called them to preach; then I am sure the Lord has first called them to repentance. A preacher is a herald of God's word. A preacher is also a minister; which also means servant. How can one who is supposed to serve God's people not first serve God by repenting and turning from their wicked ways?
Now trust me I believe their are adulterous preachers, murderous preachers, sexually impure preachers, thieving preachers, drunkard preachers and any other kind of preachers out there. And I pose this same line of questioning to them as well. To be above reproach is to be above ridicule to be blameless. It doesn't mean people won't take a stab at you but it is to say; if what I am doing does not line up with God's word then I am to be called into question on it. A gay preacher, openly or not, is not above reproach. Especially if they are open, because then they are disqualified from teaching a holy word that they themselves are not willing to follow completely. Now I do not believe we are to cast people out because of their sins but I do believe we are to show godly love and godly understanding. Notice I didn't say love and understanding. The reason why is because that's what the world wants without considering Christ and his word. I had a brother in Christ who constantly kept trying to get at me to repent and turn from my wicked ways. I wasn't hearing him and as far as I was concerned; what I was doing or not doing wasn't his business. Now this brother didn't try to throw me out of the church or make a public spectacle of me and my sins or behavior. But with godly love he kept trying to get at me. I have no doubt in my mind he prayed for me. He took on the responsibility of telling me the truth and loving me anyway; even if it may have costed a friendship. He knew I was young and bullheaded and wanted to do what I wanted to do. But saving my life was more important to him. I'm glad he never gave up on me because the Lord commissioned him to do a job and he did it.
We are all called to share the gospel, spread the good news of Jesus Christ. Even when it may seem offensive and damning. I have to wonder about that openly gay preacher and their relationship with the Holy Spirit. Does the Spirit not convict you? If the Spirit is trying and you are grieving the Spirit then why? Is it more important for you to show that since God can use a donkey he can use an openly sinful person as well? If that is the case then that is just pride; which is also another sin. I have no doubt that a homosexual preacher loves the lord...I really don't. What I do have doubts about is....how much? How much do you love the Lord? I feel bad for these churches that have preachers that are habitually sinning and then open about it. And then tell the congregation to look past it. None of that is scriptural or even godly. Plug in any sin the title of this blog and it's still an issue. It would be different if the Preacher used to be homosexual and the Lord delivered them from that binding. But we are talking about actively pursuing a sinful desire for whatever the reason.
IF you were born gay (which I don't fully believe in) that doesn't mean that just because you were born a certain way that it entitles you to what is God ordained just because you didn't have a choice in the beginnings of your life. If I was born a pedophile that doesn't mean that since I am one that I can still say and act upon preaching God's word without regard to what the word says about me and my sinful actions. The word of God must first reach the preacher before it can reach the people. Even though sinful preachers do it all the time, the Lord still can and will use them. He used a donkey he can use a sinner to do what he desires. My thing is...why would you want to be compared to a donkey? I want to be compared to Jesus Christ. The bible says to be ye imitators of God not a donkey? If you are comparing being used by God to the likes of a donkey then I have to wonder who are you trying to live up to? Because to me; I think I am better and more valuable than a donkey. I am created in the image of God not a donkey.
It's hard trying to live up to the qualifications of a Preacher/Pastor; God knows that. But just because he knows that and gives us grace, doesn't mean we get a pass on what we know to be true. Those who have ears to hear let them hear; those who have eyes to see let them see. If the Lord deems me unqualified to preach his word then who am I to force feed God's people? Why should I stuff down their throats my gospel? That's basically what is happening; you are not feeding the people the true gospel but one that you have made up with your very own life. And then you are force feeding God's people this "gospel" because it works for you and you want it to work for them. It is not right and not honored by God. I'm praying for preachers in a whole because the gospel needs laborers but we need laborers that knows who their master is. We need laborers that know who they work for; themselves or God?
No comments:
Post a Comment